Thursday, April 13, 2006

poetry thursday

I am moved to share one of my own poems today. In eighth grade, we had to create a book of poetry as a project for English. As I looked for old pictures and postcards to take with me for a class at ArtFest, I stumbled across this book of my own poetry. Here is one that resonated in this early morning hour.

The Awakening
Across the sky
The colors vividly awaken
All that is around
The trees seem to stretch
As the sunlight fills the air
The birds begin to flutter
And sing sweetly as the sun rises
It is another day
A new beginning
No matter what happens today,
Tomorrow
The sunrise will always be there
Waking up all of nature.

Elizabeth Morgan (age 13)

A thanks to Kat for suggesting people create their own poem this week and participate in Poetry Thursday. Please leave a comment with a link to your blog if you did write a poem as part of Contagious Creativity!
**********

I also want to share a link to a wonderful site I discovered tonight. Some of you have either shared and enjoyed poems by William Stafford. This is a site dedicated to raising awareness of the power of poetry in Stafford's memory/honor. I have only just begun to explore this website, but it already speaks to my heart. It is very inspiring...

**********

And as always, if you would like to participate in Poetry Thursday, please share a poem on your blog. You can leave a comment here to let everyone know that you have posted one today. Also, if you want to be added to the list of participants, please send me an email (and if you sent me an email but you are not on the participant list, please send me a friendly reminder).

Happy reading!