Thursday, October 20, 2005

listen

Came across this quote today.

"Whatever your heart clings to and confides in, that is really your God."
Martin Luther

I have been thinking about this aspect of my journey for two reasons:

Yesterday I spent time in the spiritual philosophy and yoga sections in a used bookstore in Seattle. I love the books on Buddhism next to the books on Judaism next to the books on Islam next to the books on Christianity. Would four people from different faiths stand as close as these books do? On my shelves at home, I like to put my books next to other books they might be able to learn from. Elie Wiesel is next to St. Augustine who is next to What the Buddha Taught who is next to Thomas Merton who is next to Harold Kushner who is next to Pantanjali's Yoga Sutra...and so on. I love the thought of them whispering to each other, learning, teaching. Being with these books invites me to feel calm and centered.

And then today my reflections continued after I read this post by la vie en rose. She shared some real truth about her spiritual journey.

I believe that when you feel joy in your heart, the excitement that makes your breath catch, you are on the right path. And that path may, at times: wind. seem dark. be full of laughter. be full of doubt. seem not to be right. invite you to feel overwhelmed. But that doesn't mean that it isn't the right path. The most important thing for me is to continue to listen deep within, to make sure that I am being honest with myself. I believe that we have this truth, this honesty within us. Taking the time to be quiet to have this conversation within is the challenge for me. And then having the strength to share what I learn, what I know with others when they ask - that can be a challenge as well. We do not want to be judged. We must remember not to judge others.

I have to find a place for my new book. Probably will put it next to my other Kathleen Norris books, but I may just put it next to this one to let them share some secrets.