Monday, March 20, 2006

a day in april (inspire me thursday: think big)

a day in april

This is my creation for the challenge Think Big.
I usually work on paper and in smaller sizes, so I decided to try a larger canvas. I had the idea to incorporate a hummingbird, then the big flowers. And one thing I love about canvas in this case was that I could paint over things when they went a little differently than I had planned. As I thought more about the challenge, this image of a little person sitting at the foot of the flowers appeared. Then came the story:
The song of your heart has called me.
Can you feel your wings...
do not be afraid...
climb up
and I will show you how to use them.

climb

The image at the bottom...the words say:
...and on a day in April, she heard her own song, and she began to climb.

Images of wings and flying have been going through my head lately. Looking at the work of other artists has been inspiring me. In this artwork I have seen and in the words I have read, there seems to be a connection between finding your wings, finding your path, and finding your tribe. Wings invite me to once again think about letting go. And in the midst of this afternoon, my thoughts turned to my grandmother and the idea that maybe the hummingbirds were speaking to her over her entire lifetime and then, one day, she joined them.

find inspiration from the creative minds of other folks at inspire me thursday.