Saturday, December 10, 2005

senses. warmth.



Inspired by this post by Frida on Muse to Muse, I have decided to dedicate one post a week to the senses.

See...
The sunlight warms Millie's face as we stand outside together. She is looking for squirrel chasing possibilities, but I like to think that she is happy to feel the sun again. Maybe both. She gives me the gift of learning more patience as she chases those squirrels when I want her to come back inside because I am running late. She reminds me to laugh as she curiously inspects our Christmas tree. She personifies contentment when she curls up on the couch next to me as I work on yoga homework - she puts her head on my arm and watches me write. She is beautiful.

Hear...
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...
and all that good stuff. I will say it here again, I love Christmas music. And I love to be in concert as I sing. In the car, at home, while I work (at home), and sometimes you might catch me singing in a soft whisper at a store this time of year. Some songs are funny, some poignant, some invite a tear, others are full of joy - literally. My heart feels just a little lighter when I hear these songs.

Smell...
These cookies baking (if you have been afraid to make sugar cookies, make this recipe...they are amazing. and email me for little tips if you need them!). I have made them almost every holiday season for 15 years. The almond extract gives them a wonderful smell. And a new favorite baking tradition - this cake. As it bakes the smell torments you as your nose tells your stomach "it's time for some of that." You can frost it while it is still a little warm. Perfect. (especially if you are like me and you love pumpkin, but not when it comes in pie form.)

Touch...
Lush, soft, warm throws from Churchill Weavers. I have had one near me since I was born. My "pink blanket" years ago. Now I have one in almost every room. I once drove five hundred miles wearing one as a shawl after my heart was just a little bit broken. I was driving through Berea, stopped at the store, and wrapped myself and my heart up to heal. Wrapping up in self-kindness can often be a cure. And these blankets help remind you to do that.

Taste...
peppermint mochas...pumpkin spice lattes...peppermint tea...
The flavors dance on your tongue. Remind you of snowy days and being warmed by the fire. Feel the warm liquid slide down your throat as it warms your belly. Take the time to enjoy. Sip by sip. Find your favorite flavor. Let this be a daily meditation this time of year.

And know...
There is a light inside of you that glows in these winter months. Warm yourself up.