Thursday, March 02, 2006

poetry thursday

I discovered this poem standing in the poetry section of a wonderful used bookstore in Tacoma. I laughed out loud. It is from the book The Evening Sun: A Journal in Poetry, which is a collection of David Lehman's daily poems from 1999-2000. In the books, they appear as a poem a day for one year.

November 4

You know what
the greatest sound
in the world is?
It's the sound of
a cellophane
candy wrapper
in the row
behind you
during Elizabeth
Frank's "attention
must be paid"
speech in Death
of a Salesman
makes me love
my fellow man
a little more
each time

David Lehman

If you want to participate in Poetry Thursday and you haven't sent me a link to your blog yet, please email me, and I will add you to our growing list. If you don't have a blog but you would like to share a poem, please share it in the comments here.

Hope some of you take the poems you discover into the bathtub for a poetry reading today...