Thursday, April 12, 2007

a day in april {poetry thursday}

this was not the poem i intended to share today. on this day, of all days. another year has passed.

but this is the poem that came out of me after sitting with some feelings for the last day. this is, in many ways, all of who i am today.


I cannot apologize

I imagine you
scared of her hand
her scissor-like words
her black truth
I imagine the little you
in a corner
willing yourself
into a quiet ball
of little breath

If the person I am
the one who might not want a baby
but is open to the whisper
that a child might be alive
today
and need a home
if the person I am now
knew
that ball
of endless fear
I would shift the world
to bring you here

To bring you
to a room with yellow walls
and endless shoes
and corners filled with pillows
I would bring you
to safe joy
and a circus of laughter
as we jump on the bed
I would teach you
all she taught me
with her gentle hand
quiet knowledge
and world of color