Monday, July 23, 2007

some real-life excitement

Blue skies smiling at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see.
—Irving Berlin, "Blue Skies"

This song has been going through my head for the last few days. I went to theatre camp for two summers when I younger. One summer, the camp put on a tribute to Irving Berlin, and this was one of my favorite songs to sing when I was in the chorus. My age group did several songs from Annie Get Your Gun. (Oh the lyrics from that one! My favorite is "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better.") When you weren't on stage, you were singing from the back of the audience in the chorus, so we had to learn everything. I am so glad though as many of these songs became some of my all-time favorites. At the end of that summer, at the age of 12, I even tackled a huge biography of Berlin I was so enamored by him.

I have to admit though, I haven't been singing "Blue Skies" because we had any around here. Nope, we have been having some fall weather with a dash of humidity lately. Gray skies, a bit of rain, then some downpours, but with all this humidity to remind us that it is really summer.

No, no blue skies outside. But, this seems to be the song I turn to, without even noticing, when the skies are turning blue a bit more inward. I have been singing this song because I am super excited about three things.

The first:
portals

I received my copy of Portals (Heather's zine is full of so much color and inspiration) and got to see my article, poem, and artwork in print.

climb up

Oh it just filled me up to see it. (Insert big smile of joy.) Thank you Heather for including me!


The second:
I received word from the ladies of Portland's (wicked cool) Crafty Wonderland that I have been selected to participate in the next Crafty Wonderland on August 12. (Insert little dance with lots of twirling while smiling here.)

The third:
I received word from Teesha Moore that I have been selected to participate in Vendor Night at ArtFiberFest in October. (Insert jumping up and down while smiling and twirling here.)

So in between reading the book this weekend, Jon and I also celebrated these things. He got me a congratulations card and everything.

It is as though I hear the whispers once again…you are on your path.

And in between the whispers there are a few whoops and hollers that seem to confirm it. Sing with me now

Blue skies, smiling at me. Nothin' but blue skies, do I see. Bluebirds singin' a song. Nothin' but bluebirds, all day long.