Saturday, November 19, 2005

oranges

Last night, I finished a beautiful book. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris (she also wrote Chocolat).
And this theme of home, it has really made quite an entrance into my life this week...
A line from the last few pages of the book:

"It took a little time, you know," said Paul, "but I got over it. I let go. It's like swimming against the current. It exhausts you. After a while, whoever you are, you just have to let go, and the river brings you home."

Let it go. This is the real theme of my story. Let it go. Life isn't perfect. Let it go. My family is wacky. Let it go. My parents do the best they can and I love them for it. Let it go. Let it go.

Deep breath. Don't work so hard at the letting go though. It isn't about how hard you work. It is about the breath, the life. Take a breath. When you let go, let it be easier than you thought it would be. Let the river bring you home. Live.